Corporate governance (CG) is a key priority in SIDC’s directors training initiatives. In accordance with the strategic “Growth with Governance” thrust in the Capital Market Masterplan 2 (CMP2) as well as the significance of the Corporate Governance Blueprint and the Malaysian Code on Corporate Governance issued in 2012, SIDC provides developmental programmes for directors and management of companies listed on Bursa Malaysia Securities and licensed capital market intermediary institutions to raise the standard of CG and help them carry out their duties and responsibilities more effectively, and ultimately, to promote a more vibrant and attractive Malaysian capital market.
Through strategic industry collaborations and partnerships with major institutions, we have established our name as a strong provider of CG learning solutions for the capital market. Some of SIDC’s activities related to the development of directors in the area of CG include:
- Conducting workshops on CG reporting and seminars on the use CG and non-financial information for investment decision-making for directors and senior management of public-listed companies in collaboration with Bursa Malaysia
- Delivering selected modules of the Institut Tadbiran Awam Negara/National Institute of Public Administration (INTAN)’s “Corporate Directors Leadership and Integrity” programme.
- Serving as a consulting firm recognised by the Institut Integriti Malaysia/Malaysian Institute of Integrity (IIM) to advise companies that have signed the Corporate Integrity Pledge under the “Corporate Integrity System Malaysia” government initiative.
SIDC also offers two cutting-edge development programmes to equip company directors and the C-suite with the necessary skills and competencies to carry out their duties in protecting and driving shareholders’ value:
- Capital Market Director Programme (CMDP) An exclusive platform for directors of licensed intermediary institutions to develop relevant competencies required on a board. Designed to allow participants to explore and deliberate on pertinent issues affecting the industry from multi-stakeholders perspectives. This programme is mandatory for members of the board of directors of licensed capital markets intermediary institutions.
- Advanced Business Management Programme (ABMP) An annual Securities Commission (SC) flagship programme jointly developed with leading executive education business school, the International Institute for Management Development (IMD), Lausanne, Switzerland, delivering leading-edge thinking on global trends, governance, business model choices and stewardship in order to steer organisations for the long term.
In addition, SIDC provides CG consultancy and industry insights, and participates in related initiatives as part of our value proposition as a strategic learning and development partner for the capital market industry. Past and current initiatives include:
- Conducting an online survey on the financial literacy of Malaysian corporate directors in collaboration with Bursa Malaysia Berhad and the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA).
- Undertaking online and/or field projects on:
- ethics and integrity of professionals in the capital market;
- perceived level of trust on capital market professionals as measured by the Trust Index;
- boardroom diversity initiatives implemented and challenges faced by companies listed on Bursa Malaysia Securities.
- Conducting an empirical study on the relationship between CG performance and financial performance of companies assessed in the annual ASEAN CG Scorecard project under the auspices of the ASEAN Capital Markets Forum (ACMF).
- Developing case studies based on enforcements actions taken by the regulators in collaboration with the Knowledge Management Division of the SC.
- Providing expert input in two national-level award schemes, namely the annual Malaysia Sustainability Reporting Awards (MaSRA) by the ACCA and the annual MSWG ASEAN Corporate Governance Award by the Minority Shareholders Watchdog Group (MSWG).
- Contributing expert input and advice as a member of the Integrated Reporting (IR) Training Advisory Group to develop and implement a high-level syllabus on IR.