Post Companies Act 2016 and Listing Requirements: Seeking Out Best Practices
Dates: 10 October 2019 (8.30am - 5.30pm)
Venue: Securities Commission Malaysia
Accreditation: SIDC 10 CPE approved
It has been more than a year since the Companies Act 2016 (CA) came into force in January 2017, consisting of 5 parts, 620 sections and 13 schedules. This is in comparison with the Companies Act 1965, which was made up of 12 parts, 374 sections and 10 schedules. Subsequent to the announced changes in CA, Bursa Malaysia announced various amendments to the Listing Requirements (LR), which took effect in January 2018. This translates into additional compliance requirements under the CA and LR for public-listed companies (PLCs).
What are the best practices that has been and should be adopted for after changes to the CA and LR?
This programme summarises the changes relevant to PLCs and highlights best practices that companies have and should adopt after implementation of the CA and LR. Corporate governance practices and enhancement to board compliance will also be addressed.
The aim of this programme is enable participants to identify best practices to be implemented for public-listed companies since the changes to the Company Act 2016 and Bursa Malaysia’s Listing Requirements.
Upon completion of this programme, participants will be able to:
- describe the impact to PLCs as a result of changes to CA and LR
- identify best practices to be adopted post CA and LR amendments
- determine the role of CA and LR in strengthening corporate governance practices
- discuss the expanded duties and responsibilities of director
Board of Directors, company secretaries, lawyers, accountants, corporate consultants, Capital Markets Services Representative’s Licence holders, professionals undertaking corporate advisory work.
PLCs, legal firms, consultancy firms, accounting firms, fund management companies, stockbroking firms, investment banks
||Foundational (Regulatory Knowledge) - Capital Market Institutions
Core - Corporate Governance
||Compliance Requirements at a Glance
- Share capital management
- Audit and financial reporting
- Corporate governance and responsibilities
|Best Practices to Adopt
- Directors: Minimum number, fees and benefits, non-cash asset transactions
- Company accounts
- Disclosure obligations: SPACs, realised and unrealised profits/losses
||Strengthening Corporate Governance Practices
- Safeguarding investors’ interest
||Corporate Governance and Responsibilities
- Enhancing board compliance
- Directors’ duties – Higher penalties for breaches
||End of Programme